Warm up your winter mornings
By now you guys know how much we love winter warmers! But aside from dinner and dessert, you need to start the day warmed up! And what better way than with a yummy nutrient dense porridge!
So, porridge is usually made from oats, which are on the foods that don’t love us back list. So instead, we have used quinoa. And it tastes bloody amazing!
Quinoa – is it paleo?
Look, the verdict is a bit mixed on this one! It’s known as a ‘pseudo grain’ but technically it is a seed! Some people find their tummies cant handle the quinoa, as it may irritate their gut. We personally don’t have any issues eating quinoa, and like to include it in our diet every now and then. All in all, its all about listening to your body!
If you can handle quinoa – that’s awesome because there is so much goodness in it! This stuff is packed with iron, protein (all essential amino acids), anti-oxidants (especially if sprouted) and fibre.
TIP: make sure you rinse your quinoa before cooking it. This removes the quinoa’s natural coating (saponin) which can make it taste bitter and can be toxic.
Enjoy this on weekdays or weekends
Now we know a lot of our lovely readers love grab and go breakfasts, but this one needs a bit of attention.
But never fear, we have thought of a way to make this totally do-able on a weekday! Your morning would go something like this:
- Pop the quinoa on the stove
- Jump in the shower and get dressed!
- Add the coconut milk
- Finish getting ready (hair, make-up etc)
- Come back, stir and add the extras in and voila! Brekky is ready!
If this seems like too much effort for a workday – save this deliciousness for the weekend!
Either way, make sure you make this dish this winter! It’s seriously yum!
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (plus extra to serve)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen - plus extra to serve)
- 1-2 tbs honey OR 1-2 tbs of coconut sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- Add quinoa and water to a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes
- Once the water has been absorbed, stir in the coconut milk and allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Once the coconut milk is absorbed, add the chia, coconut, vanilla, and coconut oil to the pan. Stir, and then add your preferred amount of sweetener
- Take off the heat, and add the raspberries to the quinoa mixture. Stir the raspberries through gently
- Place the quinoa porridge into servings bowls, and top with extra raspberries, coconut and whatever toppings you desire!
- Serve and eat this while its nice and hot! Enjoy
- Don't have raspberries on hand? Swap for any berry! This would be just as good with strawberries or blueberries!
- Adjust the sweetener level to your liking, or leave it out if you are going sweetener free!
- Use whatever toppings you like, we also added hemp seeds to our porridge and they were yummy!
- You can add a dash of cinnamon to this dish! (Matt's tip as he is a huge cinnamon lover)
Don’t forget to subscribe to our mailing list here so you never miss a recipe!
Matt and Nat