Pumpkin’s are taking over
As pumpkins are currently in season and cheap, we bought a whole bunch! While we have plenty of pumpkin for soup and to roast … we also wanted to get creative in the kitchen. That’s part of the fun of having a food blog – trying new things! It’s also one of our mantra’s .. trying new things open’s up a world of possibilities.
On our previous trips to the States we noticed they put pumpkin in everything! Pies, cookies, cakes and even in drinks! (Pumpkin spice latte anyone?)
Introducing our Healthy Spiced Pumpkin Breakfast Muffins!
Lately, we’ve been looking to add more veggies in our lives. And what better way to start the day than with delish, healthy, nutritious muffins!
We love how these muffins deliver a sensational savoury taste from the pumpkin, eggs and seeds, but also a lovely bit of sweetness from the honey. The aromatic spices bring it all together and you will not be sure if you are eating something savoury or sweet! So these muffins are perfect for those times you just don’t know what you feel like – “por que no los dos”, right!
Enjoy this as a snack, but given their awesome protein and vegetable content, it makes for a great breakfast too!
Why are these so good for you?
- Pumpkin is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which can improve heart health, boost your immune system, and even protect your vision.
- Coconut flour is rich in dietary fibre, high in healthy fats, and packed with protein
- Pumpkin seeds are nutritional powerhouses – With a wide variety of nutrients ranging from magnesium and manganese to copper, protein and zinc
Have we convinced you? Whip up a batch of these for brekky (or as a snack!) to get you through the week, and start your day in the healthiest, yummiest way!
- 3/4 cup of pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbs coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds and walnuts, for the topping
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cases (or a silicone muffin moulds for a more sustainable option!)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy
- Add the coconut flour to the beaten eggs and mix until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir until smooth
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the batter and mix it all together
- Use a spoon to fill the muffin cases with the batter.
- Spinkle the pumpkin seeds and walnuts over the muffins
- Place the muffin tray into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown
- Allow to cool before enjoying these delicious muffins
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days (if they last that long). They do taste delicious warm, but they taste even better when served cold after being in the fridge over night
- Depending on your sweet tooth, add more or less honey to the batter
- If you love spices, add 1/2 tsp of cloves and allspice (instead of 1/4 tsp)
Don’t forget to subscribe to our mailing list here so you never miss a post!
Matt and Nat